The Church Doors are Open! Welcome Back!
Due to government restrictions, numbers are limited to 200 people and booking online is recommended.
Sunday 24 January, 10am
“Follow the Songlines: Day of Mourning” with Rev Dr Margaret Mayman
Music in Church: Max Riebl (countertenor), Rose Riebl (Piano) & Rhys Boak (Organ)
Download/View Order of Service here
Book your seat here
What you need to know?
- Pre-book a seat online
- If you’re at all unwell, please stay home.
- Arrive at the church between 9:30 and 9:45am.
- Wear your facemask while inside the church.
- Enter via the corner of Russell and Collins St, or via St Michael’s Walk.
- Use hand sanitiser as you enter.
- Observe 1.5m physical distancing from people not in your household (waving hello rather than hugs or handshakes).
- Check in with a welcomer (who will have a copy of the bookings list).
- Sit in a pew with a purple ribbon keeping 1.5m from others.
- Don’t move around to speak with others before or during the service – we will gather in St Michael’s Walk for conversation afterwards.
- Savour the moment of gathering with old friends and new, as we are held in the Spirit’s endless love; the Divine Presence with us in church and everywhere!
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to pre-book?
Yes. Advance booking is essential to guarantee a seat. We have a limit of 200 people attending so we can maintain the “density quotient” and 1.5 metre distancing required by Victoria’s COVID-Summer restrictions.
- How do I book a seat online?
You can book seats via TryBooking here. You can book multiple tickets, but names and phone numbers must be provided for each person. For those not able to book online, please phone the church office Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and leave a message with your name and phone number. We will probably have space if you decide to come at the last minute, but you will need to register (name and phone) with a welcomer.
- How far in advance can I book?
On Sunday at 2pm bookings will be available for the following Sunday. Bookings will close at 5.00pm the Saturday before the Sunday service.
- What personal information do I need to give?
In line with Victorian Government guidelines, we will collect names and phone numbers of everyone attending for contact tracing in the event of a suspected COVID-19 case.
- What measures and cleaning standards are you putting in place to keep the congregation safe?
– Numbers attending worship are limited, face-masks are required, and everyone must observe safe physical distance.
– There is an additional cleaning schedule for surfaces and amenities and there are sanitising stations provided at the church.
– Offering plates will not be passed around. We invite you to leave your offering in one of the donation boxes by the exterior doors as you leave.
– Communion will not be celebrated until we receive further guidance from the Uniting Church.
– We will not use printed orders of service. Responsive elements of the liturgy will be displayed on the screen. Or you could download and print an order of service from the website.
- Will we be able to sing?
Congregations are now permitted to sing softly while wearing masks and maintaining physical distance. Each Sunday a cantor will lead the singing, standing 5m away from the congregation.
- Will there be ‘live’ music?
Yes! Rhys Boak, our organist and music manager will play, and guest musicians will offer music for reflection.
- Will the minister wear a mask?
There is an exemption from the mask rule for people engaged in public speaking, who need to be heard clearly and who are 5m from the congregation. This applies to the Minister while leading worship, lay people doing the readings or notices, and cantors leading the singing.
- Where can I park?
The Grand Hyatt Hotel car park on Russell Street (between Collins St and Flinders Lane) provides $7.00 discounted parking for people attending Sunday Gatherings at St Michael’s. Discount vouchers will be available at the welcome tables when you sign in.
- What happens after church?
We leave the building maintaining physical distancing. For now, we are not able to serve morning tea. People may gather in St Michael’s Walk to chat afterwards. Masks are not necessary outside but please maintain social distance and do not shake hands or hug people outside of your household. A small number of chairs will be set out for those not able to stand for long. The church will be closed 30 minutes after the service.
- If you’re unwell, please stay home and enjoy the Online Gathering.
Online Gatherings will continue for the foreseeable future. If you are not quite ready to come back to church, or if health, distance, or other commitments make it impossible, then please join us here
Download/print your updated Welcome Back to Church Information here